|Version 1 (modified by paulmelis, 6 years ago)|
The results of the first OpenSceneGraph poll are in! The poll question was "How do you get your OpenSceneGraph binaries?". A total of 178 votes were cast by 154 unique voters (judging from IP addresses).
Almost two-thirds of the votes were cast for the Windows options, 61%, versus 39% for the Linux ones. The majority of voters casting two or more votes indicated they compiled from source.
Here are the results grouped by platform:
|I compile OSG from source, but use precompiled dependencies||33.7%||60|
|I use Mike Weiblen's precompiled binaries for both OSG and its dependencies||18.0%||32|
|I compile OSG and its dependencies from source (choose to)||7.9%||14|
|I compile OSG and its dependencies from source (no precompiled package for my compiler)||0.6%||1|
|I compile OSG from source myself||29.2%||52|
|I use packages provided by my distribution||5.1%||9|
|Where is the precompiled package for Linux?||0.6%||1|
A selection of remarks provided with the votes:
- "We compiled our deps to avoid version mismatch issues and to have full control over the process."
- "For VS2005 I've made a tutorial to compile OSG from source using precompiled dependencies (french): http://ange3d.developpez.com/tutoriels/osg/"
- "I use the pre-built packages when possible, but also build them myself. It is easier to distribute my code and to tell other users to use the pre-built installer than to have them build OSG themselves."
- "I would use Gentoo's system, but it is stuck at 1.2"
- "Thanks so much for OSG!"
- "I compile OSG from source to use debug builds and have debug information. Still need to step into osg code to understand..."
- "Windows: compile OSG from source, use precompiled dependencies, Linux: compile OSG from source, use dependencies from distro's package manager."
- "I compile & link the dependencies statically into my osg application."
- "I wouldnt if the precompiled ones would work for me"
- "well i had lots of trouble with the precompiled binaries... so i decided to compile everything by myself"
- "It's possible to compile on VxWorks?"
- Multiple voters were curious where the MacOS vote option was. As far as I (Paul Melis) could tell, there weren't any provided through the OpenSceneGraph website ("OSX Pending"), and I also couldn't find any using Google. So if there is a standard OSG binary distribution for the Mac then the OSG download page should clearly be updated...